Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Corporate Girl

Corporate Bathroom selfie ( super professional)

When I worked at Nordstrom, people always said that I was so “corporate” and that I was all business, and such a business girl.  I totally agreed with that statement and like it.  When I came here to NYC and got a temp job for Mutual of America for a few weeks, I was working with Vice Presidents and super important people, and I did great.  I would walk around and talk to people and felt like I fit in with my “corporateness” and was like, “ I got this”, look at me being all corporate in NYC, I can totally do this.  Screw working in the Medical Field, Corporate life is the life for me.
Wrong!
I mean, maybe wrong.  I’m not sure yet.  But I am sure that I’m not as “Corporate” as I thought.  I’m sure it’s in me somewhere, but when I’m playing with the big dogs, my “corporateness” definitely shrinks away.
Badges are so official, I love them, but kill me if I lose it
Big Dogs, Who are the Big Dogs?
Last week I walked into a temp agency, and it looked ghetto and I had already written it off and one of the recruiters said a job just came in.  She told me the pay, gave me the address, and told me to show up at it tomorrow morning.  So I did.  I showed up to 250 Greenwich St, otherwise known as 7 World Trade Center, whaaaaaat.  This company is overall the whole reformation of the WTC properties among a million more.  The building is gorgeous and so fancy.  I got my security and ID badge and when I swipe it to enter the building it calls the elevator for me.  The break room has a fancy machine with every kind of drink from cappuccino and espressos to hot cocoa, plus a bunch of other tea’s and ice coffees, I wish I drank coffee and that it didn’t stain my teeth or give me bad breath cause I love me free stuff.  Is also on Crains New York list of the top #100 business to work for in NYC, it ranked #30 last year, so that’s fancy. 

I work for 3 main guys, 2 unoffically, and 1 analyst. (every other Executive Assistant has one, MAYBE 2).  They’re pretty cute too, and then I realized that these young, rich and powerful guys scare me.  “Hotness is intimidating, especially when it’s wearing a suit.” That’s the quote that came to my head after stepping into my new office.  The guys are really nice, but still, they handle millions of dollars a day like its candy and I’m the one supposed to be in charge of scheduling their life, I don’t wanna screw that up, these are real business men.  I thought Mutual of America was corporate, but comparatively it is just baby corporate.

 There are lots of other great things about this temp assignment one being that my view is incredible.  It looks out upon a huge chunk of the city and is right next to One World Trade Center. They also have a cafeteria in the building and the food is pretty cheap so that helps save moola which is always the preferred route, I don’t even need to try and scrounge up a coupon if I eat there.  The location is awesome and pretty easy to get to, it’s only one Asian bus ride away, with no transferring at any other stops.
Office view, never gets old

But back to Big Dogs. Last Friday, I met THE Big Dog.  His name is Larry Silverstein ( google him) , and looks like Larry King, he is worth $3.5 BILLION,( That’s not intimidating) he shook my hand for a really longtime and wished me Happy New Year ( it was the New Year for my Jewish peeps).  
So what am I gonna do about the Big Dog Corporate World?  I dunno.  I have an interview on Friday with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, so maybe I’ll get that job and scoot away from the corporate world, but on the other hand the corporate world pays waaay better than the medical and charitable world.  What to do? What to do?  I dunno, pray for me and we’ll see what happens.


Peace and Love from NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment