Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Here’s the Papers You Requested…..My second as an Executive

So, I met with a Staffing agency at the beginning of August, and after a couple of days they were able to place me as an “Administrative Assistant” at a Large Capital Management and Insurance Company.  After offering me the 2-week gig, the recruiter ask, “ You know photoshop and powerpoint right?” Crap, yeah I know them, I’ve used PP in school and I’ve opened up photoshop before and played with pictures, so I can use that stuff…right? I coolly replied to her, “ Oh, of course, my minor was Digital Media, so I’ve worked with both of the programs multiple  times.”.  A previous recruited I had met with from another agency, told me I was too humble for my qualifications and that I need to sell myself better, even if I’m not an expert at something.  Since she gave me permission, I’ve started to try and “sell” myself a little better. ( For those of you who are immature, stop giggling when I say “sell myself”, you and I both know it doesn’t mean prostitution).
I showed up to this beautiful 40 story building all owned by the company that I get to work for, for 2 weeks. Their name emblazoned on the wall, the marble floors, and all the security guards were there to greet me.  It took everyone a little while to figure out where I was going before they would let me up into the building ( I guess it gets confusing when you have 40 floors), But I finally arrived at the 9th floor and shown my desk.  It was messy, and dusty, and there are soooo many papers everywhere, but whatever.  My supervisor who happens to be one of the Vice Presidents over Marketing briefed me on what I would be doing.
HIM:  So, basically what were gonna have you do is open up Illustrator……
ME: (Internally Thinking) whoa whoa whoa, Illustrator, I did not sell my self on Illustrator, WHY, cause I don’t remember how to use it. Crap, how will I fake this. Just keep smiling and nodding, close your eyes a little bit so they don’t look so big, you probably look surprised.
HIM: Fix it in Illustrator, make it look pretty, open it in photoshop flatten the image and then import that into the PowerPoint presentations.  Here’s some instructions, so you can work on that.
ME:  Ok, ya, totally ( sups professional I know).
So, I begin my experimenting in Illustrator with the chart images.  Come to find out, not that bad.  But as I’m cruising through my tasks, every file I open, I’m just waiting for it to be a mess and for me to have to actually do something to it. I finish everything quickly, and spend the rest 6 hours waiting for something to do. The next day is the same thing, I finish my tasks too quickly and just sit there.  I start snooping through the files ( naturally) to try and anticipate what my next assignment will be so I can get started on it early.  I figured out the assignment and then wrote down a list of things that were missing that I needed.
My boss came over to tell me I could begin on a new assignment and then looked at my screen when noticing I was doing it.  I let him know I was finished and gave him a list of missing files that I still needed.  He walked away quickly and came back in about 5 minutes.
HIM:  Here are the papers you requested.
ME: Thank you.
There it was.  My small moment of being a top dog over a Vice President.  For a split second he was working for me ( working for me, working for him, but whatever).  It felt good. 
Then I finished the project and waited for the next.  That’s where I find myself currently , just waiting, and writing to you guys ( or just myself, and probably my mom), and dreaming for the day that I request a lot more papers…..

-Lolo

No comments:

Post a Comment