Sunday, August 10, 2014

Look for acts of kindness….Do acts of kindness

I’ve been looking for something that I can do anywhere without spending any money.  I decided to be more aware of my surroundings and look for acts of kindness.  I don’t listen to music as I explore NYC, but this requires you to unplug from technology to benefit from it most.  I really need to start brining a notepad a long to jot down thoughts so that I can remember the things I see. 
One of the things that I can do while looking for ways to help other is just being nice to the bus drivers.  I’ve noticed that they appreciate a “hello” so much.  I heard a bus driver tell one lady today that she could get on the bus early because she was nice to him and treated him as a actual person.  I bet it would get pretty annoying stopping for so many people all day and not hearing any kind words from them.  So, I am determined to be extra kind to my bus drivers, even when they’re grumpy.
I was on the bus, going my usual route to Union Square, when this stupid SUV decided to try and sneak pass the bus through a tiny little street with a car on the other side.  This girl was in trouble, she was right out my window and I was just watching her shaking my head and her stupidity that she thought she could get through.  I was also watching other people watch her, thinking the same thing.  Everyone just waiting to see the consequence of her choice and who’s vehicle was it going to affect.   She barely squeezed by the time warner truck when she reached a mini, this was gonna be the one she scratched for sure.  Then this tough looking guy, appeared right in front of the mini and flipped the drivers side door mirror in.  He proceeded to guide the lady through the tight squeeze and she got through with barely an inch to spare.  The lady stopped and shook hands with the guy who helped her before going on her way.  Everyone just went on as normal.  Beautiful act of kindness, I think it was the guys car too, I would have been freaking out.
Then a few stops later, we came to an intersection.  There was a blind lady with her walking stick standing at the curb waiting for the light to change so she could cross.  I was thinking to myself, “ how blind is she really if she can see the light change and the walking man come on”.  She couldn’t.  As the light changed a bunch of people started crossing and she just stood there.  I felt so bad, I wish I could be next to her to let her know it had changed.  But, never fear, a good pedestrian was near.  A disheveled looking man ( there are lots of disheveled looking people in NYC, I am one of them.) came up to her and offered to help her across.  He walked her across safely, and then turned around and walked back.  My first thought was, “ phew, I’m so glad someone helped her”.  My second was, “wow, that was nice of the man to take her across even though he wasn’t going that way.  He must work at that fruit cart on the corner.”  I watched the man walk as the bus turned.  He passed the fruit cart, he passed the next shop, and the next, and the next.  Holy crap where did this guy come from. Then finally he stopped, and I watched him get into a super nice Mercedes SUV! WHAT.  I don’t know how long the poor blind lady had been standing there, but apparently enough time for the rich man to observe and see a need and walk quite a ways to help her.  This made me smile so big, I kind of giggled out loud a little bit.  It was awesome. 

I was walking back from visiting the MET and I saw a couple walking ahead of me and the girl was wearing a shirt that said, “ AGGIES” on the back.  I was like “Aggies?, You guys from Utah?”  They were a little taken a back for a second.  But loosened up after I said I was from Provo.  They had just got in last night and didn’t even know how to travel around the city with a Metro card.  I walked with them for a half mile dishing out all the information and tips that I could.  They were so grateful and I was so excited that I could help them.  Their names were Karli and Paul from Idaho, I wish I would have got there number, we probably could have had fun.  Oh Well.  I was trying to pay the kindness forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment